3 NICs - 1 upstream, 2 downstream to same subnet??

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Fri Sep 3 06:45:56 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 07:05 , RRrp Toren moved his mouse,
rebooted for the change to take effect, and then said:

> Nickolay A. Kritsky wrote:
>
> >Hello rip,
> >
> >Are you sure that you want only one subnet? In your case two different
> >subnets on two interfaces IMHO look much better. If you are sure about
> >one-subnet setup than you should try to set up a bridge(4) between
> >them two NICs. Bridge in FreeBSD is supporting ipfw filtering, so
> >you can still complete your security goals.

>    No, I am nor sure. I tried using 11.x.x.x on the xl0, but all
> routing out of the machine stopped along there somewhere. It
> may have been the xl drivers that don't seem to play well with
> multiple copies running.

The 11.x.x.x network belongs to the Department of Defense.

Be sure to use only number allocated for private use.
Thats the complete 10.x.x.x, 17.16.x.x to 17.31.255.255 and
192.168.x.x.

Using addresses outside the private address space can mislead you
when routers take the date elsewhere.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com