Intel Pro/1000 Nic - no communication with network

Wang wang at sdf.lonestar.org
Tue Dec 28 23:38:34 PST 2004

Hi all,

I am trying to get FreeBSD installed and running on a new rack server
(asus ap140r-e1). The rack has a Intel Pro/1000 Nic (Intelr 82541GI
Gigabit Controller).

I have tried both freebsd 4.10 and 5.3 - and after installation both
detect the network card and ifconfig shows it. I provided the ip manually
via rc.conf lines:

     defaultrouter="10.0.0.2"

     hostname="blah.testbox.com"

     ifconfig_em0="inet 10.0.0.9 netmask 255.0.0.0"

These lines are definately correct because I use them on another freebsd
5.3 box on my network without any problems (dhcp also works on the other
5.3 box).

Ifconfig shows for em0:

     em0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

     options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>

     inet 10.0.0.9 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255

     ether 00:11:2F:0F:80:f4

     media: Ethernet autoselect

     status: no carrier

I have tried both dhcp (my preference here) and hardcoding the ip/gateway
details - but neither work. DHCP can not be obtained, and if i manually
give ifconfig the ip/gateway etc...i just do not seem to get any
connectivity out of the card, I can't ping any other boxes on the
network...only pinging the boxes own 10.0.0.9 ip works.

I went to the intel web site and downloaded the driver they have on there
for freebsd, but it seems the same as what freebsd already has built into
the kernel (I tried the intel driver regardless, but the result is the
same...no network communication).

I decided to verify that the card/cable/network itself is ok - so I ran
the Knoppix Linux Live cd on the rack....it dectected the nic perfectly
and got dhcp immediately! So I know for sure the problem is something to
do with freebsd and its setup.

I really have no clue where to turn with this problem, and I don't want to
have to ditch bsd in favour of linux for this rack - please can anyone
help? I really need this all complete tomorrow

Thank you in advance,

daveuk