Intel Pro/1000 Nic - no communication with network

Steven Stremciuc steve at freeslacker.net
Wed Dec 29 00:00:07 PST 2004

"status: no carrier" when you do an ifconfig indicates a layer 1 or
physical problem. You need to try plugging in each of the other ethernet
ports on that server and checking ifconfig to see if the status changes.
As obvious as this seems (and sorry if you've already tried this) I have
some supermicro servers with Intel nic's and FreeBSD 5.3-R has them
mixed up. The ports are labeled 1 and 2 on the case but FreeBSD calls
ethernet port 2 em0 and ethernet port 1 em1. Maybe that is what you are
seeing here.

steve