ppp link always dials when started with -auto?

David Carter-Hitchin david at carter-hitchin.clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 31 00:54:57 PST 2003

Just a follow up...

I forgot to mention that I also did a tcpdump on tun0 as the link comes up
- it shows no packets sent or received.  From my limited knowledge of ppp
negotiation, it looks like the link is being brought up but nothing is
being sent over it.

I also did a ktrace on ppp that didn't reveal anything which would
indicate why ppp is dialling upon initialisation.

One other thing is that after the initial dial, if I leave ppp to timeout,
then it will not dial again, unless I do something (send mail, browse the
web) - I've left it for at least 24 hours.  This is strong evidence that
the way ppp itself is setup is causing it to dial upon initialisation - is
it testing the link?  Is that some option somewhere?

Many thanks,
David