IPv6 routing

Bruce A. Mah bmah at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 30 21:20:22 PST 2003

If memory serves me right, paul van den bergen wrote:

> I am attempting to set up some static ipv6 routes on my little network.
>
> example:
>
> box1 - fec0:0:0:1::1 -------- fec0:0:0:1::2 - box 2 (router) - fec0:0:0:2:1
> --------  fec0:0:0:2:2 - box 3
>
> I want to reach from box 1 to box 3
>
> no route6d or anything... this is a really simple network.
>
> sysctl net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=1, net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=0 on box 2 (the
>
> router)
> sysctl net.inet6.ip6.forwarding=0, net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1 on boxes 1 an
> 3 (the hosts).
>
> route add -inet6 -net fec0:0:0:2:: -prefixlen 64 -host fec0:0:0:1::2
> on box1
>
> box2 can ping6 to box1 and box3 and vise versa.
>
> why can't box 1 ping6 box 3? What have I missed?

Did you add a route on box3 so that it can reach box1?  Remember that
ping6 requires two-way connectivity.

You set net.inet6.ip6.accept_rtadv=1 on the end hosts...do you have
rtadvd running on box2 so that they actually acquire the routes?

You haven't really provided enough information to debug the problem. How
about the output of ifconfig(8) and the routing tables on all three
machines?

Bruce.