named sandbox trouble

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Sun Oct 12 10:05:28 PDT 2003

On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 03:47:21PM +0100, Robert Downes wrote:
> I've realised that my /etc/resolv.conf is being overwritten on every
> reboot. I assumed this was because of DHCP, but disabling DHCP meant
> that my network connection was disabled.

We're way off topic here, but here's a few quick pointers:

See dhclient.conf(5): consider something like:

  supersede host-name "my.custom.hostname"

or

  send host-name "my.custom.hostname";

It really depends on how that DHCP server is configured...

> I think a lot of the problem is not understanding how to define a home
> network behind an ADSL-modem/router/switch, so I'm configuring things
> badly, and that's causing failure.
>
> Where can I go to fully educate myself on how to configure my
> ADSL-modem/router/switch and also FreeBSD behind that router?

By default, FreeBSD used the ICS DHCP client.  It's called 'dhclient',
it (and it's config file) have a manpage.

In my case, I disabled the DHCP server on my ADSL-modem/router/switch,
and instead chose to run my own server.  The classic counterpart
to dhclient is 'dhcpd', which is available via the isc-dhcp3 port.
This let me side-step the questions surrounding the configuration
of the ADSL-modem's server...

'Fully educate' is otherwise beyond the scope of this document. :)

Good luck...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert at numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842