Bridging in FreeBSD without one side being blocked?

Will Andrews will at csociety.org
Sun Aug 10 23:52:33 PDT 2003

Hello (please cc: me as I am not subscribed, thanks),

I was wondering if anyone has managed to set up bridge in such a
way that hosts on both sides will be able to access the machine
doing the bridging.  The reason I need this is because I need to
join two media types (10baseT/100baseTX and 1000baseSX), and both
sides of the bridge need access to the machine in question.  I'd
prefer to do it like this instead of buying another switch with
the necessary media ports or a media converter just for this.

As far as I can tell, it does not seem like FreeBSD's BRIDGE is
capable of doing this sort of thing.  Does someone know if
ng_bridge can do it, or if it could be made to with some slight
modifications?  I could not find any documentation about someone
that has done something like this.

I should note.. later I may add an Atheros card to the bridge,
configured in 802.11a host AP mode.  Same conditions apply.  :)

Seems to me that if a packet is destined for an IP associated
with any of the bridge's child interfaces, the code should
recognize that the packet can be delivered directly to it, as
opposed to simply dropping it.

Thanks in advance!
--
wca