Problems with PVR 250 and MythTV

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 1 01:46:27 UTC 2007

On Wednesday, 28 February 2007 at  0:38:33 -0800, Vadim Mikhailov wrote:

>   Few months ago I decided to stop fighting windmills and converted
> FreeBSD MythTV box to Linux, and boy, how much better experience it is!
> Everything just works out of the box

It's interesting that I've had pretty much the opposite experience.
Sure, I still don't have MythTV working on FreeBSD, but I spent months
in vain trying to get it to work on Linux.  And my draft HOWTO for
FreeBSD is only half the size of the one for Linux.

> no patching of cxm driver to bring V4L2 ioctls, MythTV never
> crashes,

Agreed, getting the cxm driver working properly is important, and it
would be *really* nice to get some DVB cards supported too.

> tuner appears to get much better picture - I have no idea why.

I get almost as good a picture from the PVR 250 under FreeBSD as I do
from a DVB-T card under Linux.  If there's any difference, I'd
attribute it to the different transmission format.  There's only one
thing I've seen which puzzles me: sometimes the brightness levels
fluctuate over a period of 10-20 seconds, rather like the results of
trying to copy macrovision-protected VHS tapes (but not as bad).  Has
anybody seen anything like this?

>   I love FreeBSD a lot, but in multimedia it lags behind Linux
> considerably.

Agreed.

> Talking about REAL fix for PVR350 remote: I believe the only good
> solution to this is to enhance cxm kernel driver to create another
> device like /dev/cxmr0 (in addition to /dev/cxm0) for remote
> control, so select() on it could be used by LIRC and avoid polling.

I haven't looked at your patch, but I think that the remote control
should be handled by LIRC, not by the cxm driver.  Well, not by the
cxm driver.  I'd like to see better remote control software than LIRC.

How is the remote control supported in Linux?

Greg