Problems with PVR 250 and MythTV

Matt Stegmeir steg0044 at aem.umn.edu
Thu Mar 1 03:19:18 UTC 2007

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:

>On Wednesday, 28 February 2007 at  0:38:33 -0800, Vadim Mikhailov wrote:
>

>>  Few months ago I decided to stop fighting windmills and converted
>>FreeBSD MythTV box to Linux, and boy, how much better experience it is!
>>Everything just works out of the box
>>

>It's interesting that I've had pretty much the opposite experience.
>Sure, I still don't have MythTV working on FreeBSD, but I spent months
>in vain trying to get it to work on Linux.  And my draft HOWTO for
>FreeBSD is only half the size of the one for Linux.

For me, I just got tired of dealing with linux in general.  It seems
like I end up hating just about every distro I ever try for one reason
or other.  Since it looked like things were reaching the point where
myth on FreeBSD was at least close to there, when I rebuilt my myth box
I chose to take the plunge and do everything I could to get it working
on an OS I actually like, rather than putting up with an OS I don't like
in order to run it.

 > I love FreeBSD a lot, but in multimedia it lags behind Linux

> considerably.

At this point, I'd rather work on advancing FreeBSD's multimedia capabilities than be annoyed by some random linux distro in other ways.  I've got most of the capabilities that I'd have in linux at this point, it's just that some of them aren't performing quite as well yet or are a bit of a hack.  I can deal with that, and hopefully make a contribution or two to make it easier on the next person.