Status of VIA Envy24 audio controller

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 24 13:02:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 14:41:19 +0200
Alexander Leidinger <Alexander at Leidinger.net> wrote:
> Quoting Konstantin Dimitrov <kosio.dimitrov at gmail.com> (from Mon, 24
>
> Jul 2006 11:37:59 +0000):
>
> > during the last weekend i have some free time and decided to look
> > through the list of reported problems:
>
> In case there are some open PRs I would like to know the number of
> them...
>
> > 5) vchans don't work
> >
> > it is a feature, not a bug and it is really great feature, so
> > should be removed from the list with bugs. Envy24(1712) has very
> > precise 36bit wide hardware mixer, which is superior that vchans
> > (software sound mixer in the kernel). the driver supports
> > Envy24(1712) hardware mixer, so up to 10 channels (5 stereo pairs)
> > can be playback simultaneously and that is why no software sound
> > mixer (vchans) is needed.

via8233 support up to 5 channels hardware mixing and works
beautifully. The question is whether it is properly implemented or
not.

> What if someone wants to play more than 5 stereo pairs at once?
>
> I agree that if an high quality feature like this is supported, it
> should be used. But I don't agree that we should not use vchans. If
>
> someone wants to use vchans, he should be able to use them (we can
> add   a note into the man page regarding the hardware feature and
> the   relative quality of it compared to vchans).

I second this.

> Regarding the use of the hardware feature: How do you make use of it
>
> in the driver? Do you allow the same stereo channel to get opened 5
>
> times and let the hardware handle everything?

Support for full blown 8/16/24/32 sign/unsigned vchan/softpcmvol/ssrc
does exist:

http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/

I still need time to resync all my "stalled" work first.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD