Status of VIA Envy24 audio controller

Mon Jul 24 12:41:19 UTC 2006

Quoting Konstantin Dimitrov <kosio.dimitrov at gmail.com> (from Mon, 24
Jul 2006 11:37:59 +0000):

> during the last weekend i have some free time and decided to look through
> the list of reported problems:

In case there are some open PRs I would like to know the number of them...

> 5) vchans don't work
>
> it is a feature, not a bug and it is really great feature, so should be
> removed from the list with bugs. Envy24(1712) has very precise 36bit wide
> hardware mixer, which is superior that vchans (software sound mixer in the
> kernel). the driver supports Envy24(1712) hardware mixer, so up to 10
> channels (5 stereo pairs) can be playback simultaneously and that is why no
> software sound mixer (vchans) is needed.

What if someone wants to play more than 5 stereo pairs at once?

I agree that if an high quality feature like this is supported, it
should be used. But I don't agree that we should not use vchans. If
someone wants to use vchans, he should be able to use them (we can add
a note into the man page regarding the hardware feature and the
relative quality of it compared to vchans).

Regarding the use of the hardware feature: How do you make use of it
in the driver? Do you allow the same stereo channel to get opened 5
times and let the hardware handle everything?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Kiss your keyboard goodbye!