Sound recording and producing CDs

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Fri Mar 26 20:36:49 PST 2004

On Friday 26 March 2004 12:18 pm, Ben H. wrote:

> My real question is are they the best tools available for
> the job or should I consider different ports? [...]
> But... a sound recording box...  I need some Multimedia
> Expert opinions before I get started...
--- ---

There are a number of ways to get digital or analog audio into the
computer and stored as a digital file, depending on what type of
soundcard or hardware you have.

For opening the digital audio files in a graphical environment and
editing them, a lot of people seem to like audacity:

/usr/ports/audio/audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net

I've tried it a little on Linux and FreeBSD and I like it a lot,
although I am no expert.

You might want to save a copy of the digital audio file as a .wav
(Windows audio file format) file on the hard disk, as many
audio-oriented programs understand and can work with WAV (.wav)
files.

To burn the audio file(s) to CD, you might want to use burncd (for
ATAPI CD drives) or cdrecord (for ATAPI CD drives using SCSI
emulation--documentation available in FreeBSD Handbook and many
places on the 'net--or using SCSI CD-R(W) drives).

K3B is a graphical CD-burning application that uses the common
command-line CD and audio related tools in the background, but is
less intimidating to some because of its mouse-oriented
point-and-click and click-and-drag interface.

BUT, if you are burning .wav files to audio CD, remember that .wav
files have header information in the file format that exists for
programs to identify the file and its characteristics, but which
produce an audible, fairly loud click when played on a CD player.
This header information is automatically stripped by some
CD-recording programs (I believe that cdrecord automatically strips
it) but not by others (my preferred CD-recording program, burncd,
does not automatically strip the header information from .wav files.

Instead, prepare a copy of your .wav files, converting them into .cdr
files using the command-line program sox. Sox not only strips the
non-audio header information from the .wav files, it also pads the
resulting .cdr file so that it is exactly a size that can be evenly
divided by the standard block size of an audio CD. This is important,
and can mean the difference between audio that plays back perfectly
once it is recorded to CD, and a CD that produces nothing but hiss
when played (I know, since I made several bad CDs before I discovered
this important detail).

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I come from a professional musician
background and have maintained a hobbyist's level of interest in
audio, CDs and DVDs, and Linux and FreeBSD.

The 'net is full of good Linux/FreeBSD audio information. Here's a
couple URls:

http://www.bsdsearch.com/dir/applications/multimedia/audiosound.php
http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_free_beer_2/

Good luck, and best wishes,