Intel 845 and TV-out: how to switch to PAL mode?

Lars Eggert lars.eggert at netlab.nec.de
Wed Feb 18 23:32:35 PST 2004

Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> I have a machine running FreeBSD 4.9-stable and XFree86 4.3.0.
> It has an Intel 845GV chipset, so when I connect it to my TV (and no
> other displays), I get console output (and X) on the TV.
> However, the output is in NTSC mode, not PAL (which is the "normal" TV
> standard in most of Europe). My TV handles NTSC, but this gives me
> black borders above and below the picture.

This won't solve your problem, but I see a similar issue on an Asus box
with a SiS graphics chip. Console output is b/w with black borders, no
matter whether I set the TV norm to PAL or NTSC in the BIOS. However, X
output is fine.

I assume you've tried X and it's also b/w?

Lars

PS: This may also be due to your TV and/or cabling. My oldish TV only
takes composite input, with s-video input I get b/w output only.
--
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories