Intel 845 and TV-out: how to switch to PAL mode?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Wed Feb 18 15:54:24 PST 2004

Hello.

I have a machine running FreeBSD 4.9-stable and XFree86 4.3.0.
It has an Intel 845GV chipset, so when I connect it to my TV (and no
other displays), I get console output (and X) on the TV.
However, the output is in NTSC mode, not PAL (which is the "normal" TV
standard in most of Europe). My TV handles NTSC, but this gives me
black borders above and below the picture.
Therefore, I world like to switch the TV output to PAL mode. I can't
find anything in BIOS related to this.

I have searched the web, but so far haven't found a solution there
either. Changing console mode isn't required (though it would be nice),
but getting XFree86 in PAl is needed, because I'm going to view TV on
this box.

Does anyone have a clue on how to change from NTSC to PAL on this
chipset?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,