MPlayer Playback Not Smooth

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Mon Oct 27 09:57:32 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vulpes Velox" <kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com>
Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 10:48 PM

> On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:18:17 -0700
> "Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:

The

> > Windows
> > the
> > not

> > > I've had problems with some streams too.. mainly it has been with not
> > being able
> > > to get the stream fast enought from the net... not sure if that would
be a
> > > problem here... us mmsclient and then have mplayer play the video...
it it
> > plays
> > > it while it is local, it is probally something that is happening
during
> > > transport
> >
> > Thanks for your reply, however I don't think it's a bandwidth issue.
I'm
> > actually watching the streams, side-by-side.  Both are being served by a
> > local Windows Media Server that has already received the stream from the
> > net.  mplayer has the brief pauses.  Windows Media Player does not.  And
the
> > mplayer box is a 2.2 Ghz desktop while the Windows Media box is a
Pentium
> > III 600 MHz laptop so I don't see it as a hardware issue either.
>
> /me is still guessing buffer probs
> try uping the cache, which is off by defualt...
> the connection may be not be slow, but this def sounds like a buffering
prob...

I will look at the buffers again.  I know I used to have them set and it
seems I did *NOT* have this problem until after an upgrade.  Maybe the
upgrade overwrote my buffer settings.  I'm actually using gmplayer and I've
found that 'preferences' are not always retained after they are set.

Thanks again,

Drew