MPlayer Playback Not Smooth

Vulpes Velox kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com
Fri Oct 24 17:25:10 PDT 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:58:44 -0700
"Drew Tomlinson" <drew at mykitchentable.net> wrote:

> I'm using the mplayer-gtk-esound-0.92.0_2 port with win32-codecs-2.0.90,1 on
> a 4.8 FBSD box running Gnome 2.4 to watch a Windows Media stream.  The
> problem is that about every 5 seconds, the video pauses for about half a
> second.  The audio does not pause.  I do not experience the 'pause' when
> watching the stream on a Windows 2K box running Media Player 9.
>
> The stream is 205 kbps video and 32 kbps audio stream encoded on a Windows
> box using Windows Media Encoder 9 and version 9 codecs.  I have also set the
> encoder to use version 8 codec but get the same pauses on FBSD.  I do not
> recall having the pause on older versions of mplayer.
>
> Does anyone else experience this?  Any ideas on how to resolve?

I've had problems with some streams too.. mainly it has been with not being able
to get the stream fast enought from the net... not sure if that would be a
problem here... us mmsclient and then have mplayer play the video... it it plays
it while it is local, it is probally something that is happening during
transport