hardlocks in 8-CURRENT

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Tue Mar 23 08:38:07 UTC 2010

El día Thursday, March 11, 2010 a las 10:24:27PM +0100, volker at vwsoft.com escribió:

> On 01/-10/63 20:59, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > If you go with your laptop to some meeting, you just take it with you and
> > normally not even the power-supply; when you return to your desk, normally
> > you put your laptop on the table, plug-in power and open the lid...
> >
> > from time to time I encounter that the laptop after opening the lid is
> > just locked, i.e. hardlocked and does not even respond on ping from other
> > places; I did tests to see when it crashes, i.e. if it is based on the
> > movement, of WLAN AP re-connect or whatever; I now always first open it, work a
> > while across WLAN and then plug-in the power; the lock occurs only on
> > the plug-in of the power-supply;
> >
> > any idea what to do next for debugging this? thanks
> >
> > 	matthias
>
> Matthias,
>
> just a shot in the dark, but I bet keying "res" ENTER (w/o the quotes)
> in while your system seems to be dead will give you 'back' (well, kind
> of) your system. Can you try that the next time, please?
>
> If that works (reboots your system) we can see if you're able to get a
> core dump out of your box.

Some days ago I catched this (or better: I was catched by this) while
still in ASCII mode short after the re-boot. There was no message on the
screen and keying "res<ENTER>" did nothing, not even any char of "res"
was echoed.

	matthas
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211