X60 overheating with 7.1

George Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Sat Jan 10 22:01:48 PST 2009

Hi,

I just got a Thinkpad X60 and have installed 7.1 STABLE on it.
Basically 7.1 and
then updated to stable as of 10 Jan.  I have one major problem and
that is
overheating.  I cannot run even a long compile without the CPU going
to 97C
and shutting down.  Trying to do something like a buildkernel with -j
anything other
than 1 also fails.

I found this thread on stable@

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039452.html

but have not found anything to address the problem.

One change I did make was to switch from ULE to 4BSD, since the thread
talked
about going from 6.2, where 4BSD is the default, to 7.0.  This did not
have any
appreciable effect.

The only physical change to the machine was to go from a spinning HDD,
to a Flash
based SSD (Intel 80G).  I don't think the flash drive is adding heat
but perhaps
the fact that I/O is now faster is leading to overheating?

Thoughts or suggestions welcome.

Best,
George