X60 overheating with 7.1

Ilya Bakulin webmaster at kibab.com
Sat Jan 10 23:58:49 PST 2009

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:37:15 -0500
George Neville-Neil <gnn at neville-neil.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got a Thinkpad X60 and have installed 7.1 STABLE on it.
> Basically 7.1 and
> then updated to stable as of 10 Jan.  I have one major problem and
> that is
> overheating.  I cannot run even a long compile without the CPU going
> to 97C
> and shutting down.  Trying to do something like a buildkernel with -j
> anything other
> than 1 also fails.
>
> I found this thread on stable@
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-January/039452.html
>
> but have not found anything to address the problem.
>
> One change I did make was to switch from ULE to 4BSD, since the thread
> talked
> about going from 6.2, where 4BSD is the default, to 7.0.  This did not
> have any
> appreciable effect.
>
> The only physical change to the machine was to go from a spinning HDD,
> to a Flash
> based SSD (Intel 80G).  I don't think the flash drive is adding heat
> but perhaps
> the fact that I/O is now faster is leading to overheating?
>
> Thoughts or suggestions welcome.
>
> Best,
> George

Did you try using powerd and/or Cx states of your processor?
There are several discussions about these things found at mobile@, stable@ and many other places. For example, this thread at FreeBSD forums: http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=172

P.S. As I know from reading list discussions, some IBM Thinkpads really have problems with overheating.