Laptop suggestions?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Thu Oct 23 13:09:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
 > Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> writes:
 > > I've seen that Fn key, but don't know what it is for.  What? you press
 > > it, then follow with the integers [ 1, 2, 3 ... ]?   At any rate, maybe
 > > you can remap the key with ~/.xmodmaprc.
 >
 > They're used to access keys which won't physically fit on a laptop
 > keyboard, such as the numeric keypad, NumLock, ScrollLock etc., and
 > (along with function keys) to control hardware-specific functions like
 > switching between internal and external display, turning bluetooth and
 > wlan on and off, adjusting the backlight brightness, etc.

Not to mention the wonderful thinklight ..

Re your original issue, can you get any mileage out of using acpi_ibm,
devd and this post and/or the other one it references:

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-mobile/2006-August/008959.html

Seems strange a 'naked' Fn key doing something while running, though
pressing Fn alone (or lifting the lid) wakes my T23 from its slumber.

cheers, Ian