Laptop suggestions?

Matt Olander matt at ixsystems.com
Wed Jul 30 00:09:06 UTC 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 3:23 PM, Jeremy Messenger wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:34:32 -0500, Frank Mayhar <frank at exit.com>
> wrote:
>
>> My old Dell Inspiron 5160 has developed problems that I can't fix,
>> sigh,
>> so it's time to replace it.  I'm hoping for some good suggestions
>> from
>> this list (cc'd to hackers for the exposure, I know everyone doesn't
>> read -mobile).
>>
>> My criteria:
>>      * 3D acceleration.
>>      * MiniPCI wireless (don't care which card, I'll replace it
>>        anyway).
>>      * At least 15" screen.
>>      * Decent power consumption.
>>      * Plays well with FreeBSD 7-stable.
>>
>> Nice to have:
>>      * Dual core.
>>      * >4GB memory.
>>      * Working suspend/hibernate mode (and no, I'm not holding my
>>        breath).
>>
>> So, suggestions?  BTW, if I get a decent response I'll summarize it
>> for
>> the list, along with the one I chose and my experience after
>> ordering/installing it.
>
> Maybe you can wait for this:
>
> http://www.ixsystems.com/products/bsd-laptop.html

Hi everyone! I actually had our prototype of this laptop up at the
OSCON show in Portland and it was pretty well received.
Everything works for the most part although we're still tweaking some
things for ACPI.

I'll have one at the FreeBSD booth at LinuxWorld in San Francisco next
week, August 5-7. We'll announce as soon as this thing is 100% and
we're comfortable bringing the product line up as an item that we're
comfortable supporting long term. Most likely, available to the
general public in September.

best,
-matt

--