Wireless access points: consumer, commercial, or DIY?

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Wed Jul 23 19:15:21 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 01:58:42PM -0300, Nenhum_de_Nos wrote:
> > if you could share those adjustable params of you, as I also have an AP
> > based on atheros and FreeBSD 7-STABLE and when heavily used it dies.
> > The client that makes this is another FreeBSD 7-STABLE, also atheros
> > based (laptop from asus - F3T).
>
> I had to make adjustments to the hw.ath.hal.sw_brt and
> hw.ath.hal.dma_brt sysctls to make the values better suited for the
> PCI bus of the soekris.

FWIW I'm happy with my FreeBSD- and Atheros-based access point and I didn't
have to do anything special to get it working properly. I was already using
the FreeBSD box as a NAT gateway though so YMMV.

I've had good luck with some D-Link products but it depends on the
(individual) device, and I agree with the OP's sentiments about "consumer"
quality hardware.

JN