Wireless access points: consumer, commercial, or DIY?

Nenhum_de_Nos matheus at eternamente.info
Wed Jul 23 17:22:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, July 23, 2008 13:18, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:32:07AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
>> I want reliable wireless in my home.  So what do I need to do, to get
>> it?
>> I'm not convinced there's a low-cost solution.  If I have to go up to
>> commercial quality and spend near $500, I could build my own Soekris
>> net5501-based WAP and use FreeBSD 7.x. for $100 less.
>>
>> What are your thoughts, experiences, and/or recommendations?
>
> I too have seen the stability problems with Linksys WRT54G and
> friends.
>
> At home, I use a Soekris net4801 with an atheros-based 802.11g miniPCI
> card and FreeBSD 7-STABLE (nanobsd) with hostapd(8) configured for
> WPA2-PSK CCMP.
>
> I use a few different STAs on a daily basis - a couple of laptops
> running FreeBSD, a laptop running Windows XP and and iPhone. None of
> these have seen any stability issues with my FreeBSD/hostapd based AP
> for the past couple of years (although I had to adjust a few ath(4)
> parameters back when I initially configured my AP to make it work
> flawlessly with Windows XP).
>
> All-in-all, I can highly recommend FreeBSD as a homebrew AP platform.
>
> Brix
> --
> Henrik Brix Andersen <brix at FreeBSD.org>

if you could share those adjustable params of you, as I also have an AP
based on atheros and FreeBSD 7-STABLE and when heavily used it dies. The
client that makes this is another FreeBSD 7-STABLE, also atheros based
(laptop from asus - F3T).

There are also other two notebooks around, Windows Vista based and their
owners never complain. One is a Lineage player (I think is the most it
uses from the network).

just another info, since forever when boots this AP box allways complains
about a interrupt storm on the atheros irq. moments after it stops.

thanks,

matheus

--
We will call you cygnus,