Wireless on hp 6710b

besideinfo besideinfo at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 10 16:52:27 UTC 2008

--- Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:

> Hmm.  On re-reading the whole thread I notice that
> you didn't show what
> Andrey asked about, and while I don't know if it
> should actually affect
> the module loading, it's said that you need this in
> your loader.conf:
>
> : Also make sure if license acknowledge variable is
> set (use kenv on
> : this purpose):
> : # kenv | grep 'wpi'
> : legal.intel_wpi.license_ack="1"
>
> Otherwise it does look like your 6.3 install is
> missing something.
>
> cheers, Ian
>
> (Sam, sorry if I complicated matters, but many new
> users don't know
> about using 'kldstat -v' to check modules, in my
> humble experience)

At this point I believe it is better to summarize all
I have done so far.

I rebuilt my kernel the same day I installed freeBSD.
I followed the instructions on the handbook, and all
process was successfully completed.

Later, I realized that the wireless card wasn't
working, and after some posts I found out(with your
help) ath0 wasn't suitable for the wireless card.

Because of that I decided to "rebuild again" the
kenel, but this time I removed all wireless devices
from the configuration file and used the
/boot/conf.loader so configurated:

#hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

firmware_load="YES"
if_wpi_load="YES"
wlan_load="YES"
wlan_amrr_load="YES"
legal.intel_wpi.license_ack=1
wpifw_load="YES"
wlan_xauth_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"

#Intel HDA Audio
snd_hda_load="YES"

After reboot I the freebsd still wasn't able to "see"
the wireless card. Following there are the result of
parts of the tests you asked  me to do:
----------------
freebsd-box# pciconf -lv | grep -B2 -A1 3945
none2 at pci16:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x135c103c
chip=0x42228086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = '10418086 Intel 3945ABG Wireless LAN
controller'
    class      = network
-------------------
freebsd-box#  kldstat -v | egrep 'wpi|wlan'
 5    5 0xc07c7000 1edf8    wlan.ko
                 4 wlan
 7    1 0xc07e8000 26414    wpifw.ko
                 5 wpifw_fw
 8    1 0xc080f000 1b10     wlan_xauth.ko
                 6 wlan_xauth
 9    1 0xc0811000 2d08     wlan_wep.ko
                 7 wlan_wep
10    1 0xc0814000 6d04     wlan_ccmp.ko
                 8 wlan_ccmp
11    1 0xc081b000 4000     wlan_tkip.ko
                 9 wlan_tkip
freebsd-box# kenv | grep 'wpi'
legal.intel_wpi.license_ack="1"