Wireless on hp 6710b

Benjamin Close Benjamin.Close at clearchain.com
Thu Apr 10 22:44:54 UTC 2008

besideinfo wrote:
> --- Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au> wrote:
>

>> Hmm.  On re-reading the whole thread I notice that
>> you didn't show what
>> Andrey asked about, and while I don't know if it
>> should actually affect
>> the module loading, it's said that you need this in
>> your loader.conf:
>>
>> : Also make sure if license acknowledge variable is
>> set (use kenv on
>> : this purpose):
>> : # kenv | grep 'wpi'
>> : legal.intel_wpi.license_ack="1"
>>
>> Otherwise it does look like your 6.3 install is
>> missing something.
>>
>> cheers, Ian
>>
>> (Sam, sorry if I complicated matters, but many new
>> users don't know
>> about using 'kldstat -v' to check modules, in my
>> humble experience)
>>

> At this point I believe it is better to summarize all
> I have done so far.
>
> I rebuilt my kernel the same day I installed freeBSD.
> I followed the instructions on the handbook, and all
> process was successfully completed.
>
> Later, I realized that the wireless card wasn't
> working, and after some posts I found out(with your
> help) ath0 wasn't suitable for the wireless card.
>
> Because of that I decided to "rebuild again" the
> kenel, but this time I removed all wireless devices
> from the configuration file and used the
> /boot/conf.loader so configurated:
>
> #hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
>
> firmware_load="YES"
> if_wpi_load="YES"
> wlan_load="YES"
> wlan_amrr_load="YES"
> legal.intel_wpi.license_ack=1
> wpifw_load="YES"
> wlan_xauth_load="YES"
> wlan_wep_load="YES"
> wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
> wlan_tkip_load="YES"
> wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
> wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
>
> #Intel HDA Audio
> snd_hda_load="YES"
>
> After reboot I the freebsd still wasn't able to "see"
> the wireless card. Following there are the result of
> parts of the tests you asked  me to do:
> ----------------
> freebsd-box# pciconf -lv | grep -B2 -A1 3945
> none2 at pci16:0:0:        class=0x028000 card=0x135c103c
> chip=0x42228086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = '10418086 Intel 3945ABG Wireless LAN
> controller'
>     class      = network
> -------------------
> freebsd-box#  kldstat -v | egrep 'wpi|wlan'
>  5    5 0xc07c7000 1edf8    wlan.ko
>                  4 wlan
>  7    1 0xc07e8000 26414    wpifw.ko
>                  5 wpifw_fw
>  8    1 0xc080f000 1b10     wlan_xauth.ko
>                  6 wlan_xauth
>  9    1 0xc0811000 2d08     wlan_wep.ko
>                  7 wlan_wep
> 10    1 0xc0814000 6d04     wlan_ccmp.ko
>                  8 wlan_ccmp
> 11    1 0xc081b000 4000     wlan_tkip.ko
>                  9 wlan_tkip
> [...]
The problem you are facing is caused by the driver module not being loaded
You should have a file: if_wpi.ko when you run kldstat -v
Because that module is not loaded you won't see the wpi0 interface.

In previous email you stated that you don't have /boot/kernel/if_wpi.ko
That seems very wrong, as the driver should be built as part of a kernel
build.
The quick fix for your problem is:

cd /usr/src/sys/modules/wpi
make
make install

That should provide you with the module you need.
Why it was not built in the first place on your system I've got no idea.

Cheers,
    Benjamin