Wireless on hp 6710b

Yousif Hassan yousif at alumni.jmu.edu
Mon Apr 7 15:40:35 UTC 2008

"Pippo Pippone" <besideinfo at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a HP 6710b notebook with an Intel PRO/Wireless 802.1, and I'm
> trying to make the wireless to work.
> I followed the instruction from the freeBSD handbook but without result.
> When I type ifconfig I cant see the wireless card.
> I checked the kernel configuration file, and it contains all the devices
> needed (ath, ath_hal, ath_rate_sample, wlan, wlan_wep, wlan_ccmp,
> wlan_tkip). However, from the boot message  I cant see any information for
> the  ath0 device.
> The freeBDS  I installed is 6.3 and the notebook is a core duo T7300.
>
> Thanks for your time in advance.

You do realize that the ath driver is for Atheros cards, right?  Do you have
an Atheros card that you manually put in the system?  If so, you need to
send proper debugging output, like a verbose dmesg, ifconfig, pciconf -lv,
etc so people can see why your Atheros card isn't recognized.

However, out-of-the-box, that laptop probably has Intel PRO/Wireless, as you
said.  Try the wpi driver - if it's a 3945 it'll work.  If you want to find
out what model of wireless card you have, you can try the HP Parts Store
online at hp.com or you can take the card out of the bottom of the laptop
(usually mini-PCI slot) and look at it.

--Yousif