need help!!! nic driver not working.

Jason P. Thomas jthomasp at gmualumni.org
Tue Sep 18 13:21:44 PDT 2007

Terrence Wilson wrote:
> My notebook has a Dell Wireless 1930 WLAN nic and I was able to convert
> the driver for my wireless card using ndisgen. It created a kernel
> called bcmwl5_sys.ko in the /root folder. I entered:
>
> # kldload bcmwl5_sys.ko
>
> Then I entered:
>
> # kldload ndis
> # kldload if_ndis
>
> However, when I enter:
>
> # dmesg
>
> No sign of the wireless nic appears. When I enter:
>
> # kldstat
>
> The bcmwl5_sys,ko, if_ndis.ko and ndis.ko modules come up as loaded,
> along with the kernel. Does this mean that the coverted drivers are not
> working on my machine? Or is there something else I need to do?

I've been fighting off and on with broadcom wifi drivers since I got my
HP Pavilion dv9205us in February.  I've gotten everything from kernel
panics to dmesg listings for ndis0.  When I did manage to get the dmesg
listing for ndis0, it did me absolutely no good.  ifconfig ndis0 scan
didn't work and the light indicating the wifi was active never changed
to blue on the laptop.  I've revisited the problem several times in the
intervening months and get stymied at every attempt.  I level disdain in
broadcom's general direction anytime I decide to mess with this wifi
again.  All of my attempts were using FreeBSD/amd64 as the i386 boot cd
would hang almost from the get go.  I know I'm not any help, but I
figured I'd let you know that you are not alone in your misery.

--Jay