Management of Thermal

Lars Engels lme at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 8 06:41:18 PDT 2007

Quoting Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net>:

> On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 20:35:58 +1000
> Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm happy to RTFM....but i don't know where that is :)
>
> well,i've obviously read the man pages for cpufreq, acpi_thermal and
>  powerd...
> but my brain can't seem to see how it all fits together... cpufreq
> is supposed
> to be for non-acpi systems...but then if i take it out i can boil water in 2
> minutes on the CPU...
>
> cheers,

Hmm, that doesn't sound so good...
What I can see from yoursystl output is that hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest is
set to C1. You could try to set it to C3. Then the CPU will sleep
deeper and has some time to cool down.
Another thing I spotted is hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling=1
With that setting the CPU is cooled passively AFAIK. So if the fan
starts to run, it could be that it is not FreeBSD that tells it so,
but the internal sensors.

Do you have Windows installed on that Notebook? How warm does the CPU
get there? Or with a Linux live CD?