Working quite well : xorg7.2, DRI, suspend, Radeon Mobility X600

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Tue May 29 06:10:06 UTC 2007

On Tue, 29 May 2007, Norberto Meijome wrote:
 > On Mon, 28 May 2007 22:38:33 +1000
 > Norberto Meijome <freebsd at meijome.net> wrote:
 >
 > > Suspend and resume work fine, with DRI inclusive - it is a single core CPU ( I
 > > believe there are still issues with suspend/resume with dual cores.
 >
 > Ian Smith reminded me of some previous postings I made on this (august 2006).
 > with xorg 7.2 I made some slight changes to the my suspend script, basically i
 > dont switch back to VT1 before sending zzz - it works fine. Resuming on text
 > mode seemed to be corrupting video RAM too (more tests needed).
 >
 > relevant sysctls that are working ok currently
 >
 > ---
 > # Should prevent freezing in X when doing suspend
 > ## for TOSHIBA A2, NOT THINKPAD
 > ## hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1
 >
 > # Fixes resume on RELENG_6
 > hw.acpi.reset_video=1
 > ---

FWIW: for my T23 (6.1-R, xorg 6.9) to work reliably with suspend/resume
from either a vty or from X I needed
  hw.syscons.sc_no_suspend_vtswitch=1
  hw.acpi.reset_video=0
but with no mods to rc.{suspend,resume}

however after quitting X the screen was (and still sometimes? is) blank,
as you described elsewhere recently; things 'work' but with no video.

In my case loading VESA helped, as setting any of the vtys with (say)
vidcontrol 80x30 meant that vty would later display correctly (and after
selecting that one, so would the others still at the default 80x24) but
if I'd neglected to do that before starting X (I use startx), running
this particularly weird script works to restore the text mode vtys:

% cat ~/bin/fixme
#!/bin/sh
# strangely enough, this invalid mode restores vttyX with the error message:
# vidcontrol: cannot activate raster display: Inappropriate ioctl for device
vidcontrol VESA_800x600

At least I can reliably type 'fixme' blind .. there's bound to be a more
elegant fix, but this gets me back on the road ..

Cheers, Ian