Dell Latitude D630

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 27 09:11:30 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 17:30 +0200, Frank Staals wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was planning on buying a Dell Latitude D630. From what I could find
> about the parts just about anything should work appart from
> Suspend/Resume ( or has the suspend/resume issue with C2D CPU's been
> resolved in CURRENT ? ). Appart from that 2 points are worrieng me a bit
> so I'm just wondering if anyone can give me confirmation of those points:
>
> - WLAN using an Intel 3945ABG Wireless Card ( From what I've read it
> should work with the wpi driver ? )
> - The screen supports a native resolution of 1440x900 usin a Intel GMA
> X3100, anyone experiences with such a setup ?
>
> Thanks in advance,

wpi driver? If you're very very lucky. I've been trying P4 snapshots of
the wpi driver weekly and have had no success (I should probably send in
details of this...) Apparently it works for some, and not for others. It
isn't in current for sure. I have a script that can pull the latest dev.
versions from perforce if you would like to try it. If wifi is important
to you, you're probably better off trying to get them to supply it with
an atheros based card, or replace it with one, as even if the wpi driver
worked, it wont work as well as an ath, the benefits of open
documentation.

1440x900 would be the widescreen equiv. of 1400x1050, which works 'ok'
on my GMA 950 based graphics. It only works 'ok' because most laptop
manufacturers don't bother to fix the video BIOS to add the correct
modes for the panel they attach to it. I can use an app called
915resolution (in ports) to set the correct modes, and then X works
perfectly. I don't know whether it will also work with GMA X3100, or
even whether Dell ship dodgy video BIOS - HP did :/