dual boot freebsd and win2k

Björn König bjoern.koenig at alpha-tierchen.de
Wed Feb 14 14:24:02 UTC 2007

Cecil schrieb:
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to build a dual boot ThinkPad r40 with Free 6.2 and win2k. I tried installing win2k first and modifing the boot.ini and got a dead win install. Finally, I install Free6.2 first after the free install I got boot options F1 and F2 then installed Win2K on a NTFS partition on the second partition same disk. The Win install boot without options, I booted the free CD and made the Free partition active now win is not seen. HELP!!!
>
> ceco

FreeBSD offers a simple boot manager that is placed in the first sector
of your hard disk. It is called boot0. You can install easily:

   - boot FreeBSD
   - allow to write the first sector:
        sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=16
   - install the boot manager
        boot0cfg -B /dev/ad0
   - reboot

Now you should be able to choose between the operating systems.

You can also boot from the FreeBSD CD (disc1) and choose "Fixit" ->
"CD/CDROM". In this case you can skip the second step.

Regards Björn