Another 6.1R on a ThinkPad X60s

James O'Gorman james at netinertia.co.uk
Thu May 11 16:01:22 PDT 2006

Hi Michael,

Michael Collette wrote:
> First off, many thanks to James for getting a thread started on the
> X60s.  I'm not subscribed to the list which makes staying in the thread
> a bit challenging.  Sorry about that.
>
> Anyhow, thought I might have a few tid bits to add about what all is
> working and what isn't.  I'm also very interested in providing for any
> kind of testing of patches that folks a good bit smarter than myself may
> provide.
>
> First off, I tried Ubuntu on here already.  It's not really doing much
> more than what FreeBSD is able to do.  Ubuntu doesn't recognize the
> wireless cards, isn't able to sleep or hibernate, but it does have sound
> working.  I didn't mess with graphics acceleration as that really
> doesn't interest me for this box all that much.

I tried both Ubuntu and Fedora Core 5 earlier today, just to compare,
and the sound *just about* works in Fedora. The post-install
configuration thingy attempts to setup the sound card, and if you select
the digital option, you get a faint, but audible noise from the speakers.

> On FreeBSD sound is inop, as has already been stated.  Why on earth
> would a little laptop like this need hi-def audio is beyond me.

Probably going to be the future! High-def TV, high-def audio.....

> [snip]

> As for the wireless card, it would appear that the if_ath.ko module
> works.  At least I get a proper entry in the ifconfig listing.  I was
> unable to test actually connecting to a wireless network as of yet.
> Didn't have one handy.  Would be interested in hearing if this works for
> anyone else.

No such luck here, I'm afraid. When I kldload if_ath, I get the
"ath_hal: 0.9.16.16...." message on the console, but nothing new in
ifconfig.

I think I saw somewhere that some versions of the X60s do use an Atheros
chip, but mostly it's Intel 3945ABG (certainly in Europe).

> I attempted to get the Sierra Wireless CDMA modem playing.  Added model
> and vendor entries into both umodem.c and usbdevs.  No luck, still
> doesn't see that bugger as a ucom device.  I did this for a PC5740
> PCMCIA card and got it working, but it kernel panics when removing it.

Don't have one of these on my model (being UK-based).

> When starting up /etc/rc.d/bluetooth I get back "ERROR: Unsupported
> device:".  I thought that was informative.

Same here.

> I'm guessing the bluetooth device in question is the Broadcom
> (0x0a5c) BCM2045B (0x2110) which comes up attached to ugen0. I
> haven't made any source code tweaks to usbdevs for this one as I'm
> pretty bluetooth ignorant. Got a Palm Treo to test on it if I can get
> the service up and going.
>
> On the plus side, a number of things are working properly.  X,
> fluxbox, kde, and firefox are installed on here and working decently.
> The ethernet is working properly at 1G.  The dual core processor
> looks to be working solid.
>
> Mostly, the ACPI and sound support are the major show stoppers here
> for me.  Next up would be getting that CDMA card playing properly.
> As gravy on the top, it'd be pretty cool to get the finger print
> reader playing, which I'll be messing with over the weekend.

Yeah, I'm not so bothered about the sound (although it would be nice!),
but suspend/hibernate are obviously important.

James