Another 6.1R on a ThinkPad X60s

Michael Collette Michael.Collette at TestEquity.com
Thu May 11 14:37:55 PDT 2006

First off, many thanks to James for getting a thread started on the
X60s.  I'm not subscribed to the list which makes staying in the thread
a bit challenging.  Sorry about that.

Anyhow, thought I might have a few tid bits to add about what all is
working and what isn't.  I'm also very interested in providing for any
kind of testing of patches that folks a good bit smarter than myself may
provide.

First off, I tried Ubuntu on here already.  It's not really doing much
more than what FreeBSD is able to do.  Ubuntu doesn't recognize the
wireless cards, isn't able to sleep or hibernate, but it does have sound
working.  I didn't mess with graphics acceleration as that really
doesn't interest me for this box all that much.

On FreeBSD sound is inop, as has already been stated.  Why on earth
would a little laptop like this need hi-def audio is beyond me.

I'm unable to put this box to sleep or suspend.  According to the sysctl
an S3 ACPI request is supported.  What happens is that the screen
scrolls something like "function not implemented" then the sleep LED
turns on.  Fans are off, but the back lighting on the screen remains on.
  There's no waking up from this condition short of a full reboot.

I tried disabling APIC per the handbook suggestion.  No luck.  This box
won't boot without ACPI support, so I couldn't test APM properly.

While talking about power, it seems that FreeBSD isn't able to tell the
display to shut off.  This is especially yucky for these LCD displays
with a limited life span.  This is true at the console with
"green_saver" loaded, as well as in X.

As for the wireless card, it would appear that the if_ath.ko module
works.  At least I get a proper entry in the ifconfig listing.  I was
unable to test actually connecting to a wireless network as of yet.
Didn't have one handy.  Would be interested in hearing if this works for
anyone else.

I attempted to get the Sierra Wireless CDMA modem playing.  Added model
and vendor entries into both umodem.c and usbdevs.  No luck, still
doesn't see that bugger as a ucom device.  I did this for a PC5740
PCMCIA card and got it working, but it kernel panics when removing it.

When starting up /etc/rc.d/bluetooth I get back "ERROR: Unsupported
device:".  I thought that was informative.  I'm guessing the bluetooth
device in question is the Broadcom (0x0a5c) BCM2045B (0x2110) which
comes up attached to ugen0.  I haven't made any source code tweaks to
usbdevs for this one as I'm pretty bluetooth ignorant.  Got a Palm Treo
to test on it if I can get the service up and going.

On the plus side, a number of things are working properly.  X, fluxbox,
kde, and firefox are installed on here and working decently.  The
ethernet is working properly at 1G.  The dual core processor looks to be
  working solid.

Mostly, the ACPI and sound support are the major show stoppers here for
me.  Next up would be getting that CDMA card playing properly.  As gravy
on the top, it'd be pretty cool to get the finger print reader playing,
which I'll be messing with over the weekend.

If there's any other information I can provide on this box for someone
interested with supporting this please let me know.

Later on,
--
Michael Collette
IT Manager