Status of if_iwi driver

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Wed Jun 14 02:46:37 UTC 2006

Jacek Burszta wrote:
> Micha³ Jastrzêbski wrote:
>> What`s the status of if_iwi driver ?
>>
>> I tested if_iwi in 6.1 & CURRENT and it seems to be broken
>> i.e:
>>
>> After lost connection to AP I receive iwi firmware error  in my logs.
>>
>> In 6.1 release :
>>
>> - after kldload iwi sometimes I get beautiful reset  of hardware (laptop
>> ARISTO 300s with integrated Intel 2200BG).
>>
>> - USB is dead after unloading if_iwi . (ie all devices connected stops
>> responding).
>>

> I have the same problem with my if_iwi.
> In FreeBSD CURRENT my wi-fi card connect to my AP and after  about 30
> seconds I saw something like that:
>
> dmesg: iwi firmware error
>
> I thought it was a driver error in CURRENT, so I install STABLE version
> 6.1, Still the same.
> After about 300 s I saw the same error in
>
> dmesg: iwi firmware error
>

> How can I resolve this problem ?

If things keep working ignore them.  If not provide better information
like debug msgs with sysctl debug.iwi set to something like 2 or 3.

The iwi driver in head has a known issue where the firmware will toss
it's cookies if you try to send it a cmd while it's scanning.  The linux
driver sends an explicit abort cmd but the freebsd driver does not (yet)
do that.  However the freebsd driver just picks up from the firmware
error by reseting the card and continuing on.  I have a 2915 card in a
laptop running stable (w/ the driver from head) and I routinely use it
w/ WPA w/o problems (except for highly variable tx performance which is
not something the driver has control over).

	Sam