Acer Aspire AS5672 - ATI X1600 gfx, 1280x800 LCD and Xorg?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Tue Jul 18 22:00:59 UTC 2006

Hello again!

The Acer Aspire AS5672WLMi laptop that I am testing has ATI X1600
graphics inside, and the LCD is a 15.4" WXGA, or 1280x800
native resolution.

With standard Xorg 6.9.0, 'Xorg -configure' selected the 'vesa' driver,
and that gives me a 1024x768 screen mode. It is quite usable, but you
can easily tell by looking at the screen that it is not the native
resolution.

I have searched the 'net, and judging by what I found it is not
possible to get vesa to go above a 1024x768 screenmode (ok, it is
possible on the Intel 810 and 915 chipsets, but that's another story).
BTW, I would love to be proved wrong on this one.

So I tried Chris Gilbert's port of the FireGL driver, fetched from here:
http://www.neovanglist.net/~Neovanglist/ATI/ati-driver.tar.gz

The installation failed, so I had to manually do a 'make install' in
all subdirectories. After that I configured /etc/X11/xorg.conf to use
the "fglrx" driver, and did a 'Xorg -configure', only to find out that
the driver is too old; it doesn't support the ATI X1600 chipset.
I have attached /var/log/Xorg.0.log, in case anyone wantsto look at it.
Does anyone know if there is a port of a newer driver somewhere?

Any other suggestions for getting a native screen mode on this laptop?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,