Dell laptops

Patrick Hurrelmann outi at bytephobia.de
Tue Jul 11 19:01:20 UTC 2006

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> What are the current problems, if any, on current Dell laptops have
> with FreeBSD?
>
> Warner

Hi Warner,

I really like Dells. Especially the Latitude-series. Personally I run
FreeBSD on a Latitude D600 since 5.1-CURRENT. All works like a charm,
except ACPI suspend/resume and the Broadcom WLAN. It was exchanged by a
  ath-card some years ago.

At work I have my hands on several Latitude D610, but I never managed to
try FreeBSD on them. But I have good reports from FreeBSD-users.

Since some weeks I own a Latitude D620 (DualCore) and it really rocks,
altough some things don't work atm. ACPI suspend/resume doesn't work at
all like usual. Intel 3945ABG WLAN (even NDIS fails) and Intel HDA audio
are unsupported (patches from multimedia@ won't build) at the moment. I
did not test hotkeys till know. Xorg works like a charm, too. I chose
the embedded nVidia Quadro graphics card :)

Some other glitches:
  - Gigabit nic (bge) only works with a patch, but it still gets firmware
    handshake timeouts (see current@)
  - SATA needs patch with updated PCI-IDs
  - usb (UHCI) also needs patch with updated PCI-IDs

But the overall performance, design and handling rocks on this one. I
can highly recommend this one. I'm very optimistic in getting it quite
well supported in the near future.

Patrick

Patrick Hurrelmann   | "Programming today is a race between software
Mannheim, Germany    | engineers striving to build bigger and better
                      | idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
outi at bytephobia.de   | to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,
www.bytephobia.de    | the Universe is winning."         - Rich Cook

                   /"\
                   \ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign