NB Acer [3|5]0x and ACPI

Bruno Ducrot ducrot at poupinou.org
Mon Sep 26 01:26:26 PDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 05:08:11PM -0300, AT Matik wrote:
> hi
>
> i am wondering if some got this acer nb's working well on v5 or v6
>
> I have an Acer 3002 and fbsd6-B5 is installing and working fine for me  when
> not looking at notebook issues ...
>
> I have no battery control at all and when it comes to end it is like a
> power-failure (=off)
>
> I noticed zillions of "AE_whatever_battery_.." in messages and I could stop
> this by
>
> debug.acpi.disabled="cmbat"
>
> in /boot/loader.conf
>
> I set
>
> apm_enable="YES"
>
> in rc.conf and in KDE the kdelaptopd reports "on AC"or "on Bat" but still no
> powermangement and it's ever fully charged or empty
>
> apm is not compiled in my kernel as well as acpi is not and acpi is normally
> loaded at boot
>
> even if I see msgs like "power_profile economy" in messages after some time of
> inactivity there is no real power management
>
> is there anybody doing better or has suggestions?
>
> I saw a doc about Acer smart batteries on FBSD and ACPI, does it mean that
> acpi is not working on my NB actually?

This issue is not the same.  It's pretty well known and require to
hack a little the DSDT unfortunately.  I'm not sure if one day someone
will write a workaround other than to replace the DSDT alas.

Could you please send to me, or better point to a web link,
the output from 'acpidmp -dt'?

--
Bruno Ducrot

--  Which is worse:  ignorance or apathy?
--  Don't know.  Don't care.