Samsung X20-XVM 1600-V

Ernst W. Winter ewinter at ewinter.org
Thu Jul 7 14:09:06 GMT 2005

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005, Oliver Fromme wrote:

> Ernst W. Winter <ewinter at ewinter.org> wrote:
>  > well I have a cheap ACER Aspire 3002LC and I can say that most
>  > things work that I need, that is USB, WLAN (extra PC-CARD) and
>  > the display is in the range to  give good resolution on a
>  > standard vesa driver.
>
> What is the resolution of the display?  I definitely want
> more than the standard 1024x768.

1280x1024 - 1280x960 - 1152x864 - 1024x768

>  > > I'm aware that the built-in 56k/V.92 modem won't work,
>  >
>  > Interesting as I have a built in modem but haven't tried it yet.
>
> If it's based on the common Lucent LT winmodem chip, then
> there's a driver in the ports collection (comms/ltmdm).

Thanks, I haven't looked closer as i only had a look at the
connection so far. I don't use it, but it might come in handy one
day.

>  > I have no TV out but if you like to see it work I can make
>  > arangement to see you or at the office at BSn.
>
> Thank you very much for the offer.

Well as I said above that resolution is good enough for my use.

>  > Another one I installed FreeBSD in Basel a couple weeks ago with
>  > simelar results where most standard HW works was a ASUS A4712DLH
>  > with all the works that I can imagine.
>
> In fact, my old notebook (more than 4 years old) is from
> ASUS (an L8400K), and I'm extremely satisfied with it.
> The hardware is supported 100%, and I was even able to get
> an US keyboard for it.  However, ASUS reputation has had

I got a US keayboard for the ACER too.

> a few problems in recent months, especially their service.
> There has been a very negative article about ASUS notebook
> service in the latest issue of c't magazine.

I see, but I can't say much as I only was working with it for a week
while they lodged me in a Hotel, so I only worked with it while there
in daytime, but I was satisfied with it.

> Since I had very positive experience with Samsung service
> recently (regarding an IDE HDD), that cheap Samsung X20

Sounds good, I do use Samsung HD here and so far no worries, but it
is nice to know that they are good with their service.

> Notebook offer catched my interest, and I very much like
> the technical data, particularly the 1400x1050 display and
> the generous RAM and HDD sizes.  Also, my washing machine
> is from Samsung.  :-)

Well then good luck! :-)

>  > It installed FreeBSD from a CD, but I testet it first with PCBSD
>  > at the dealer and left the CD there as they all got exited with
>  > PCBSD.
>
> May I ask you what dealer that was?

We went from Basel in direction of Zuerich, but I could ask them or
send a email and get details as the guy wanted a ASUS and he know at
that dealer it was a good price. The price inclusive Tax was 1,299.00
SFr. As I thouhgt it was a nice price.

Ernst