About thin PCMCIA cards

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko Alex.Kovalenko at verizon.net
Sun Jan 16 06:47:59 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 11:36 +0300, Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> I have a notebook with double PCMCIA slot. I also have a WLAN card with
> thick external part, and USB 2.0 card with the same thick external part.
> They just cannot sit together in double PCMCIA, making it effectively
> useless.
>
> Therefore, I'm asking society about supported thin PCMCIA USB 2.0 or
> supported thin WLAN card. Knowledge of WORKING thin Ethernet card will
> also be handy. I have Xircom Ethernet (dc chipset) - works perfectly,
> but thick. I have 3COM Ethernet, xl chipset - works flawlessly on
> Windows, not usable under FreeBSD...

Wireless: Netgear MA401 (16-bit 802.11b) -- thickness of the external
antenna is the same as the rest of the card. Supported by 'wi' driver.
WEP and monitoring modes work. I don't know how much of interference you
will get from having something directly above it, but I guess you'll
find out.

USB 2.0: IBM ThinkPad USB 2.0 Cardbus Adapter (pay no heed to ThinkPad
part of the name ;). It has an external pigtail with the connector to
the card being slightly thinner then the card itself. Pigtail is about
10cm long, which should safely get it out of the way. IBM P/N 33L3245.
IBM FRU for card 32P5080, for pigtail 32P5081.

Ethernet: Linksys Network Everywhere NP100 (10/100). Supported by 'ed'
driver. 16-bit PCMCIA. Another one with pigtail and slim connector to
the card. I have vague recollection that it has sister card which is 10
Mbit only, but I no longer own it to give you exact model.

Hope this helps.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)