ipw driver causes total system freeze

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Sat Jan 8 16:22:43 PST 2005

Hi folks,

I've had about 6 total system freezes requiring a power cycle on my
FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE with ipw-freebsd-1.6.3.tgz. All freezes have
occurred when running xorg-6.8.1 and KDE

The main issue in common is ssh sessions. From memory, each freeze
occuring during one of the following actions:

1 - ssh session (either ssh or putty) that encounters a large amount
of screen traffic (e.g cat a large file)
2 - switching from/to an rdesktop session.

Freezes are total. Keyboard control-alt-delete does not work.
Function keys will not take me to another console. Mouse cursor will
not move.

I'm now running on ndis to see what's going on.

My laptop is an IBM ThinkPad T41.

Any ideas?

Originally posted at:

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/forum/read.php?f=1&i=432&t=432