More WiFi Access Point Discovery

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Sun Jan 9 21:30:51 PST 2005

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 12:01:16PM -0500, Gary E. RAFE, Ph.D. wrote:
> Both cards report "0 stations" with "wicontrol -i wiX -l",
> Is there some "magic" I'm missing to make this work,
> or is access point discovery not something these WiFi devices do ?

You need to 'ifconfig up' the interface for it to begin scanning.

> In the case of the latter, can someone suggest a supported PCCARD
> that does reliable access point discovery with FreeBSD ?

You'll generally get better results with PRISM2 or Atheros cards if you
want to do specific things such as packet inspection (see probe requests,
beacon contents etc), but the Orinoco should begin scanning once you
'ifconfig up'.

Regards,
BMS