Thinkpad 600e interrupt storm

Andy Sparrow andy at spadger.best.vwh.net
Sat Feb 19 04:03:59 GMT 2005

> >> The ps2 utility is available at the IBM website. Just search the
> >> downloads for your TP model number. You will need a bootable DOS
> >> partition, floppy or cdrom for this.
> >>
> I have downloaded 1yu603us.exe
> <http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/license.do?filename=mobiles/1yu603us.exe>
> which I believe to be the ps2 utility you were talking about.
> http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ZFPEG
>
> Here is my silly question. How do get this file on a floppy when it is a
> windows .exe?

DOS.EXE != Windoze.exe

It's unlikely to be a Windoze executable.

Get a bootable floppy. Personally, I'd use a FreeDOS floopy image, works
very well for flashing DVD firmware and the like:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/bet
a9sr1/disksets/1440KB/B9BOOT01.IMG

Format a floppy:

	fdformat -v /dev/fd0

Copy the image onto it:

	dd if=B9BOOT01.IMG of=/dev/fd0

Mount it:

	mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

Delete unwanted file(s) to make space for your program, copy your .exe
onto it.

Umount it:

	umount /mnt

And boot from it.

If you do this often, check out the Universal Boot CD at:

	http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

It comes with all kinds of free partition/disk/diagnostic tools and the
like - even a Knoppix distro. It has a menu system, including an entire
menu of DOS-based ones (it runs FreeDOS) and it's easy enough to frob
your DOS utility onto a function key.

Download the ISO, mount it up (on 4.x):

	vnconfig -c vn0 UBCD.iso
	mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/vn0 /mnt

Copy the entire directory tree somewhere, add your own directories,
modules, modify the menus etc. Instructions for making a bootable ISO
from the new directory hierarchy with mkisofs are here:

	http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html

Get rid of the vn node after you're done by umounting it and destroying
the node:

	umount /mnt
	vnconfig -u vn0

Good luck!