Fwd: NDISulator and Dell wireless 1350 MiniPCI

julesg at newebmail.com julesg at newebmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:18:42 PST 2005

(Peter, see bottom text of note.)

Yes, this is absolutely critical for me too (unless I run windoz,) and
please -- not that!

Recently, I bit the bullet and deleted my windoz partition from my drive.

So until I get my 1350 "truemobile" aircard working (under FreeBSD 5.2.1,
for me, anyway) I have no laptop-ethernet mobility.

The Dell 1150 has a few other problems too wrt FreeBSD -- at least under
5.2.1.  But the biggest problem is the lack of support for the most common
air-card.

I am not a driver-coder but I am willing to test and help out as I can;
And I am an AI person and I think "we" (this group of folks,) could
probably build an AI tool that would run under FreeBSD and do a lot more
to experimentally build (ie., cut and try) drivers and related components
for FreeBSD.

Such a tool would need several to be able to do several things:

First, to recover from freeze's (because they are common in developing
drivers.)

Second, to read existing assembler files, C source, hint assignments, and
*maybe* script files -- not sure if the last is feasible;  But 20 years I
had a career writing AI tools to read, manipulate, and re-write one
assembler language to another, and assembler to C.  I used symbolic tools
(MuSimp, MuMath, as well as other stuff, homemade,) to represent models of
blocks (where a code block had one entry and one exit, and a data block
was a basic data-element definition.)  All this was done in BCPL, as I
started doing this before C became popular.

Anyway, I can't write my own drivers for my laptop, but I would be
interested in participating in a group project to attempt to build an
mechanical tool-set to help with this work.

--jg