more on HP zd8000 laptop- being fair to HP

Rob Lytle europa100 at comcast.net
Tue Dec 6 10:38:03 PST 2005

Although it was "cleansing" to go on a rant about my laptop,  I have to
be fair about this HP Pavilion zd8000.

It is the fastest laptop that I have ever used.  I rarely take it
anywhere so I am not so concerned about its large size and weight.  I
just needed something to totally replace a desktop machine.  Due to
back problems, I am unable to sit in front of a monitor for very long.

The speed is great.  It makes short work of compiling programs like
Xorg and Mozilla.  It has a 3.3Ghz P4 with hyperthreading, and 1Gig of
DDR2 memory.  The graphics is supposed to be good, but I don't do any
gaming.  I think the hard drive is more capable than those in many other
laptops.

Hopefully the BIOS update will solve the flaky reboot problem.  It does
still have an undersized battery though.  I am hopeful that nothing
will burn out during make buildworlds since the fan seems to pass a
good volume of air.  I always prop it up when compiling software so
that the air intakes are not blocked.

Rob.