Can WDS talk to regular access point?

Sam Leffler sam at errno.com
Tue Dec 6 09:09:24 PST 2005

Gary Corcoran wrote:

> I apologize that this is not a FreeBSD-specific question, but
> I tried researching on the 'net and couldn't find a definitive
> answer, but somebody here may be able to give me a quick 'yes'
> or 'no' ...
>
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me if a WDS (Wireless
> Distribution System) Access Point (AP) can talk to any regular
> AP, or only another special WDS AP ?  A WDS AP is one that
> can 'extend' your wireless coverage by not only serving wireless
> clients, but also connect over-the-air with another AP.  To
> connect with another AP obviously requires a special WDS AP.
> But can your 'main' AP, that the WDS connects to, be any regular
> AP?  Or does it need special firmware to be able to understand
> how to talk with the 'remote' WDS AP?

WDS potentially means several different things but at the lowest level
it implies support for 4-address 802.11 frames.  This allows one station
to encapsulate a 3-address packet so that it can be forwarded w/o losing
any info.  So to answer your question a "regular AP" is unlikely to
support WDS unless it is explicitly stated as such.  Beware however that
there are no standards for setting up wireless repeater/extender
configurations of the sort you describe.  There is an de-facto standard
done by the WiFI alliance which is the closest thing I'm aware of.  When
in doubt always use ap's from the same vendor; that's most likely to
ensure interoperability.