WEP wi0 config prob after 5.4 > 6.0 Upgrade

Bakul Shah bakul at BitBlocks.com
Sun Dec 4 11:36:56 PST 2005

> is traffic.  The CPi, however, will drop it's connection after a few minutes
> of being idle.  Dhclient then must be killed and restarted.  When the
> connection drops, ifconfig will still show the card "associated", but
> without
> an IP address.  My workaround for the moment is simply keeping ssh
> open between CPi and another machine on my network doing a dummy
> job such as displaying "top".  (CPi is required to be accessible 24-7)
>
> Is there somplace in the system configurations where a connection timeout
> period is specified, or is this just peculiar behaviour?  FWIW, it is
> not the
> wireless cards, swapping them did not change anything.

No idea what is going on but you can try debugging rather
than working around the problem....  May be dhclient hangs?
Do you have the same dhclient binary on both machines?  See
if either machine has a custom /etc/dhclient.conf.  You can
look for patterns: for example, does this happen when the
screen goes blank?  Try capturing dhcp related traffic with
tcpdump (on both machines).

> Reading some of the other postings to this list, I'm getting the
> impression that
> there are simply problems with the wi driver, for instance refusing to work
> with wpa_supplicant in wep mode, and if I want to use wpa_supplicant
> features, I must just get a card compatible with ath.

There may be two issues here.  IIRC someone said (may be Sam
Leffler?) wpa_suuplicant uses 0 based indexing while ifconfig
uses 1 based indexing so you have to specify something like

network={
        ssid="SOMESSID"
        key_mgmt=NONE
        wep_key0=123456789a
        wep_tx_keyidx=0
}

I haven't tried this though.

wi may have its own set of problems -- I wouldn't know.

> Is this indeed the case?  I suppose I could retrograde CPi back to 5.4,
> but that just seems wrong 8-)

Or *upgrade* to -current:-)  That is what I usually do!