Repost: DHCP failing with WiFi after 6.0 upgrade

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Dec 3 05:10:31 GMT 2005

> Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 23:50:21 -0500
> From: Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com>
>
> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:51:59AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 07:49:33 -0500
> > > From: Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com>
>
> [...]
>
> > > My biggest problem is that I can't seem to get DHCP to work with my
> > > wireless card. I have an Orinoco Gold 802.11b card that's always worked
> > > fine; I'm about to replace it with something else for 802.11g with a
> > > new WAP.
>
> [...]
>
> > Under V6, you must explicitly specify the WEP transmit key index:
> > ifconfig wi0 ssid jesterWAP wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey 1:0x[DELETED]
>
> Many thanks! This is all it took. At least, with this I was able
> to get a DHCP lease.
>
> I expect I'm about to expose my cluelessness, but even after getting
> the lease--which, obviously, required going over the WAP to my router--
> I still can't connect anywhere. My wi0 ifconfig looks like:
>
> wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet6 fe80::202[DELETED] prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
>         inet 192.168.1.105 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         ether 00:02[DELETED]
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
>         status: associated
>         ssid jesterWAP channel 6 bssid 00:06:[DELETED]
>         stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
>         authmode OPEN privacy MIXED deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:104-bit txpowmax 100
>         bintval 100
>
> after getting my DHCP lease. But I am unable to ping the router, or
> the WAP, or run any traceroutes, or anything else over the network.
> GNOME's "Connection Properties" applet shows packets received but
> nothing sent, FWIW. I have no problem using the Ethernet interface.

This is most likely the default route. DHCP will set it, but it will
not replace a default that is already there if it was not set by
dhclient. .

Try either 'router delete default' or 'route flush' before running
dhclient. If you already have dhclient running, I'd 'killall dhclient'
and then restart it.

> To address the other sub-thread: Are there no PC cards that
> will work with 802.11g on a ThinkPad X23? I don't mind getting
> an IBM-branded one, if that's what it takes, but this is a
> four-year-old computer. There was some conflicting information
> upthread about whether there are Atheros-based cards that will
> work in some circumstances, or what.

Last word from Lenovo is that no 802.11G cards are supported for the T30
and I suspect thats the T23, being even older is in the same state. I
understand that it might be possible to hack BIOS to get around this,
but I don't have any details. Of course, you can get a Cardbus b/g card
(or a/b/g) and use that. I'd suggest Athros based, for the obvious
reasons.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)