Repost: DHCP failing with WiFi after 6.0 upgrade

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Sat Dec 3 04:50:22 GMT 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 09:51:59AM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 07:49:33 -0500
> > From: Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com>

[...]

> > My biggest problem is that I can't seem to get DHCP to work with my
> > wireless card. I have an Orinoco Gold 802.11b card that's always worked
> > fine; I'm about to replace it with something else for 802.11g with a
> > new WAP.

[...]

> Under V6, you must explicitly specify the WEP transmit key index:
> ifconfig wi0 ssid jesterWAP wepmode on weptxkey 1 wepkey 1:0x[DELETED]

Many thanks! This is all it took. At least, with this I was able
to get a DHCP lease.

I expect I'm about to expose my cluelessness, but even after getting
the lease--which, obviously, required going over the WAP to my router--
I still can't connect anywhere. My wi0 ifconfig looks like:

wi0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        inet6 fe80::202[DELETED] prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
        inet 192.168.1.105 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
        ether 00:02[DELETED]
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid jesterWAP channel 6 bssid 00:06:[DELETED]
        stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
        authmode OPEN privacy MIXED deftxkey 1 wepkey 1:104-bit txpowmax 100
        bintval 100

after getting my DHCP lease. But I am unable to ping the router, or
the WAP, or run any traceroutes, or anything else over the network.
GNOME's "Connection Properties" applet shows packets received but
nothing sent, FWIW. I have no problem using the Ethernet interface.

To address the other sub-thread: Are there no PC cards that
will work with 802.11g on a ThinkPad X23? I don't mind getting
an IBM-branded one, if that's what it takes, but this is a
four-year-old computer. There was some conflicting information
upthread about whether there are Atheros-based cards that will
work in some circumstances, or what.

Thanks again for this and the other useful discussion.

Jesse Sheidlower