Wireless startup personality scripts?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Sep 9 09:07:32 PDT 2004

> Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:10:35 +0200
> From: Tobias Roth <roth at iam.unibe.ch>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 09:03:03PM -0400, Karl Heller wrote:
> > Does anyone have a set of scripts that would allow one to chose a
> > wireless configuration (for different networks and security settings)
> > during startup of 5.x?
>
> profile.sh - to be found at https://projects.fsck.ch/profile
>
>  - works with all sorts of interfaces, not just wireless
>  - handles static ips, dhcp, ipsec protected networks
>  - detects the network automatically, no manual selection necessary
>  - almost everything under /etc can be configured per location, not
>    just network settings
>  - suspend in one location and wake up in the next is in the works
>  - it's work in progress, but the current version works very well already

I second the suggestion. I have been using profile.sh for some time. It
allows for fully independent configurations that are automatically loaded
for the network connection found at boot time. It even supports
suspending at one location and resuming at another.

It does take some care to properly configure and you must be capable of
reading the man pages carefully if you expect it to work well, but, once
configured, it's great.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)