[speedstep] Testers wanted

Robert Blacquiere freebsd at guldan.demon.nl
Mon Nov 22 10:44:22 PST 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 10:44:07PM +0800, plasma wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 01:28:27PM +0100, Robert Blacquiere wrote:

> > > Thank you for testing ichctrl.  The bug is fixed, and please refetch
> > > it.  The md5 of new ichctrl.tar.gz is 8ef0793d9be1909198fa3106834e5db6.
> >
> > It seems better now but it still does not see always the battery power mode..
> > If I run:
> >
> > ./ichctrl -v -a max -b min
> >
> > it reports only:
> >
> > Now operating on AC power; changing frequency to high speed
> >
> > and when i pull the ac it does not respons.
> > and when i connect ac back online it does not report any thing.
>
> This is strange.  I just tested on acpi and apm configurations, and
> both of them works just fine (on ACPI):
>
>   root at plasmanb:~# ~/tmp/fbsd/ichctrl/ichctrl -v -a max -b min
>   Now operating on AC power; changing frequency to high speed
>    ** pull ac **
>   Now operating on battery power; changing frequency to low speed
>    ** plug ac **
>   Now operating on AC power; changing frequency to high speed
>
> > When i run with these options:
> >
> > ./ichctrl -v -b min
> >
> > it response only the following on ac inserts...
> >
> > Idle time > 75%, decreasing clock speed from high speed to low speed
> > Idle time > 75%, decreasing clock speed from high speed to low speed
> > Idle time > 75%, decreasing clock speed from high speed to low speed
> >
> > Hope this will give you more input what is going on.
>
> This is what happened on my X23:
>
>   root at plasmanb:~# ~/tmp/fbsd/ichctrl/ichctrl -v -b min
>    ** ac is on **
>   Idle time > 75%, decreasing clock speed from high speed to low speed
>    ** 'openssl speed sha1' start**
>   Idle time < 50%, increasing clock speed from low speed to high speed
>    ** 'openssl speed sha1' stop**
>   Idle time > 75%, decreasing clock speed from high speed to low speed
>    ** pull ac.  no response. **
>    ** 'openssl speed sha1' start.  no response. **
>    ** 'openssl speed sha1' stop.  no response. **
>    ** plug ac.  no response. **
>   Idle time < 50%, increasing clock speed from low speed to high speed
>    ** 'openssl speed sha1' start**
>    ** while running openssl, pull ac **
>   Now operating on battery power; changing frequency to low speed
>
> Looks fine to me.
>
> It seemds to me that ichctrl is not able to see your battery when ac
> is pulled.  Please provide me more information:
>
>   * Output of 'uname -a'.

FreeBSD bifur.guldan.demon.nl 5.3-STABLE FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #1: Wed Nov 10 10:40:52 CET 2004  \
   robert at bifur.guldan.demon.nl:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/bifur  i386

>   * You're using ACPI or APM?

I'me using ACPI

>   * 'sysctl -a | grep -i acline' when AC is plugged and pulled.
robert at bifur$ sysctl hw.acpi.acline
hw.acpi.acline: 1

pulling ac out...
robert at bifur$ sysctl hw.acpi.acline
hw.acpi.acline: 0

>   * 'apm | grep AC' when AC is plugged and pulled.

robert at bifur$ apm | grep AC
AC Line status: on-line

pulling out ac
robert at bifur$ apm | grep AC
AC Line status: off-line

> I need sleep now.  I'll check your feedback when I wake up.  Many
> thanks in advance. :)

It seems i get also a lot of:
 rtc: 100 > kern.hz: Timing will be inaccurate, please increase hz.

when using the ichctrl ...

Probably due to the fact the clock freq is changed...

If you need more info i'me willing to help

Robert

FreeBSD: Are you guys coming or what?
OpenBSD: Hey guys you left some holes out there!